Today, St. John Ambulance of Malaysia is the leading NGO in the country that provides ambulance service, first aid training, event health services, community services for the fellow Malaysians. Through our Cadets and Juniors programme, we run the youth development programmes through our school Divisions.
St. John Ambulance of Malaysia runs the largest privately-owned ambulance fleet in the country. We are the first in the country to be equipped with bariatric ambulance in response to country’s rise in obese population. St. John Ambulance is the first uniformed NGO in Malaysia to be ISO 9001:2015 certified for it’s administration and operations.
St. John Ambulance Association (SJAA) was established in 1877 and a decade later, St. John Ambulance Brigade (SJAB). In 1884, the Association adopted the Order’s crest surrounded by a garter as a badge for its certified members with the permission of the Order.
On 14 May 1888, Her Majesty Queen Victoria officially recognised the Order of St. John as a British Order of Chivalry in a Royal Charter of Incorporation. The Order in England was henceforth called “The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem” or the Order of St. John in short, and she became the Patron and Sovereign Head.
SJAA was responsible for training the members and SJAB was the uniformed branch that runs the services for the public. The same structure was adopted when the branches were set up in Sabah, Malaya and Sarawak. SJAA, SJAB and the entities in Sabah, Sarawak and Malaya were later amalgamated into one single corporation under the parliament Act No.74 – St. John Ambulance of Malaysia (Incorporation) Act in 1972.
The 1972 St. John Ambulance of Malaysia (Incorporation) Act defines the merger and identifies the details of SJAM emblem, the name of “St. John” and protect the emblem and name from unauthorised use.